Wednesday, August 8, 2012

"Pet Buckle Up Law"

If you live in NJ you should be aware that there was recently a law passed regarding dogs riding in the car.  Under this law anyone who allows their dog to ride loose in the car is in violation of an animal cruelty law.  The driver will be subject to a fine of $250 to $1000 and up to 6 months in jail.  You may also receive a ticker if your dog is:

-riding with his/her head out the window
-in the back of a pick up
-sitting/laying on the driver's lap

From what I took out of this article you do not have to run out and purchase a dog specific seat belt, but can use your leash to restrain your dog.  If my dogs are not riding in their crates I tie a not in the middle of the leash and close it in the door.  The knot ends up on the outside close against the door, not flapping around.  I usually leave about 1 foot of leash so my guys can sit, lie down and turn around comfortably.  

So Jersey driver's be mindful of this law to save yourself a lot of heartache.  Even non-Jersey residents can get this ticket so no matter where you're from if you're driving through the garden state with your pooch, buckle 'em up!

**Note** 
This post is solely for the purpose of notifying those of you who travel with your pets.  You can find more information on the web by simply searching for the law.  I have kept my opinion regarding this law to myself for now but please feel free to vent in the comments section!

No comments:

Post a Comment